Thursday, June 3, 2021

Braggadocios






           


I spent last Friday evening with my boys.  Zane went to prom with a friend.  It was a big deal for him since he didn't get his Senior Prom last year due to COVID.  I needed to be there to do the "Mom thing" and take pictures.  It was important to me to be a part of it, for him. As I finished up with Zane, Quade got off work and was able to meet me for dinner.  It was an odd feeling driving the hour and a half drive home to an empty house. It made me feel quite introspective.

Time has flown.  Eight years on our own.  They are not little boys anymore, but, still MY man-children nonetheless.  They are both living in Tulsa without me.  Quade is a mechanic and has his own apartment. Zane is working hard at Amazon and looking for a place with a friend. Our relationships have changed from parenting to helping them navigate adulthood.  They are figuring it out.  I love how they're taking the non-traditional school route and doing what they love. Cars. We talk everyday, Facetime, calls, and texts.  I get random "Have a good day, Mom. I love you!" texts.  Or "Momma, storms are coming your way."  The calls about girls from first date to the break up.  How was work? Even the calls to borrow money.  We laugh and cuss and argue over politics.  All the things.  

I canNOT imagine not having them in my life. I bought their first ties.  I gave them "THE sex talk".  Showed them how to shave.  Bought them their first suits.  We helped each other navigate life back in Okie-land.  I can't imagine them not knowing what country I am in.  Not wishing them happy birthday, graduation, how was your day, are you healthy during a global pandemic? I can't imagine having a disagreement and cutting them off.  I've fought like hell for our relationships to be the best they can be.  The highs and lows of watching them grow into young men has been all my own.  And I do own it.  All of it.  I'm proud of me and them. 💘



 



No comments:

Post a Comment